- If you live in a house, townhouse, or duplex/triplex/four-plex, your garbage and recycling company is assigned to your neighborhood through a franchise system. Standard service includes weekly pickup of recycling and compost, and every-other-week garbage collection. Find your garbage company and your collection schedule.
- Homeowners need to contact the garbage company to set up or manage service. Find out more about service options and how to use your service.
- If you rent a house, the landlord is responsible for setting up and paying for service. Landlords, find information for garbage service.
- If you live in an apartment or condo, your service is set up by your property owner or manager directly with a garbage company. Contact your property manager to get more information about your service. What you can recycle or put in garbage is the same for all residences in Portland. Some properties may also have compost collection.
- Portland businesses can choose a garbage company from a list of permitted garbage, recycling and compost companies. Businesses can negotiate service level, frequency and cost; rates are not set by the City. Contracts are not required by the City. Find more information about setting up garbage and recycling for your business.